River Oaks Islamic Center (ROIC) exists as a place of worship, hosting educational, outreach and social activities, and events that represent Islam in the most befitting manner to our community, our neighbors and all Houstonians.
ROIC strives to uphold the Prophetic model of the masjid that welcomes all and provide both men and women a prayer space in the main musalla (prayer hall) that is not behind a barrier to ensure full participation of the entire community in prayer services, lectures, and discussions.
Men and women equally serve on ROIC’s governing body and work together through shura (mutual consultation) to run the affairs of the masjid.
Our Goal is to establish an open and affirming community center that serves the spiritual, educational, and social needs of central Houston for the greater community.
- Spiritual – Focus on serving the spiritual needs of the local Muslim community
- Educational – Leverage the central location to educate the Houston community about the beauty of Islam and promote inter-faith collaboration
- Social – Foster a sense of belonging to a community by organizing activities that will attract individuals and families to the masjid
- Ramadan iftars
- Eid celebrations
- Qiyam prayers
- Friday prayers
- Weekend School
- Urdu classes
- Weekly new Muslim classes
- Weekly halaqas for beginner, intermediate, and advanced students (see Events for more information)
- Bi-monthly guest lecturers (Pizza Nights)
- Women’s Self Defense Class
- Initiated a membership drive
- Bi-monthly family nights
- Monthly sisters’ social events (please contact SistersGroup@roicmasjid.org )
- Eid Picnic
- Community Outreach Barbecue